Nobody likes to think about losing a tooth to extraction. Sometimes, however, all our efforts can’t save a severely damaged tooth, and extracting it is the safest option to protect your long-term oral health.
Dr. Gury Batlle never takes tooth extraction lightly; if he recommends extraction, you can be sure he will explain why and how the procedure will benefit you.
Common Reasons for Tooth Extraction
There are several reasons why our dentist in Moorpark, CA recommends tooth extraction:
- A severely decayed tooth can’t be saved with a filling or crown.
- A tooth infection is too advanced to treat with a root canal.
- Advanced gum disease has loosened a tooth.
- We’re planning denture therapy, and removing one or more teeth will ensure the best results.
Our dental care team understands that a tooth extraction can cause anxiety, and we do everything we can to ensure your comfort. We are a very kind and caring group of people who will take steps to ensure you have a stress-free, anxiety-free procedure.
If you have dental anxiety, Dr. Batlle can prescribe a sedative for you to take an hour before your procedure. When you arrive at our office with the help of a friend or family member, you will already feel relaxed and calm.
Before we begin, Dr. Batlle will expertly numb the tooth to ensure a pain-free procedure. He will use his skill and expertise to perform a comfortable tooth extraction and complete the procedure as efficiently as possible.
Our Tooth Replacement Options
At Moorpark Dental Studio, we focus on solutions, not problems. If you’re feeling sad or disappointed about losing a tooth, we understand. Instead of dwelling on the situation, however, it can be very helpful to look toward the future.
We offer several ways to replace missing teeth, including dental bridges, dentures, and dental implants. If you’re ready to talk about tooth replacement, we would be happy to explain all your options.
Post-Extraction Care Instructions
The first 24 hours or so after your tooth extraction are critical in terms of healing. Follow these instructions carefully to avoid complications and enjoy a speedy recovery.
- After we remove the tooth, we will place sterile gauze on the extraction site. You should bite down on it for 30-45 minutes to control bleeding. If you still notice bleeding, place a fresh gauze pad on the site.
- Use a cold compress to minimize discomfort and control swelling.
- Rinse with warm salt water to promote healing and minimize infection.
- Brush your teeth as usual but avoid the extraction site.
- Stick to soft foods like pudding, soup, and yogurt for the next day or two. Be sure to avoid spicy foods and extreme temperatures.
- Avoid smoking for the first 24 hours. The sucking motion can increase pain at the extraction site and dislodge the protective blood clot that’s forming over the site. Smoking can also slow down the healing process.
If Dr. Batlle prescribes any medication, be sure to take it as directed. Call our dental office right away if you experience a problem.
Stress-Free Tooth Extraction in Moorpark, CA
If you are in pain and think you might emergency tooth extraction, please call Moorpark Dental Studio, and we’ll arrange to see you as soon as possible.